Monday, June 14, 2010

Greetings From Decatur!


Last week just flew by! The tournament didn't go as I would have liked but there are lessons in those tournaments. I didn't hit the ball very well on Friday. I was all over the map, getting up and down from the craziest spots. I hit it right on a par-4 into a hazard, dropped in the 2nd cut and put my 4-iron to 6' for par. Another hole, I hit it right into the trees, punched out to 100 yards and hit it 5' to get up and down. After that shot, a rather excited volunteer said, "Wow what a shot! Thanks for being here! You're awesome!". A little boost to the confidence never hurt, right?! Didn't score like I felt I should have but overall, kept my numbers low (nothing above a bogey all week -- opposed to last week when I had doubles and triples!) and three putts to none. I was happy with that, just didn't roll in any birdies.

On Saturday, I teed off early, 7:50am, and we had 100% chance of rain. Sure enough on our 1st green it started POURING! We played five and a half holes in a downpour, getting absolutely soaked! I don't know what it is with this tour and where we go, but we have had some awful weather the last couple events. Lucky for anyone who didn't tee off before 9:30am, they didn't have to have this wonderful experience. My dad says that I am a mudder, I tend to play well when everyone is complaining about the weather. I don't really know why people complain, because when they do, half the field is beat already. I know girls were struggling in that rain but I wasn't! Personally, I was not objected to it pouring all day long. I was even par in the rain when the two girls in my group alone, were making some big numbers. My host dad even ventured out on his bike to come watch-- it was impressive.

After a four hour delay full of me returning home to dry my clothing and catch some World Cup, we started back out to finish the round. I played steady, but not making some close ones for birdie at the end. Didn't get great reads on the greens but overall my pace was SOO much better than last week. Finished again, without big numbers or three putts.

Missing the cut was frustrating but it just means I have to work harder. I know I am so close, and it's coming together. The aspect that I am most happy about is that my game is becoming more consistent, opposed to one thing being good one day and another the next. Someone once told me that's when you become good, when your high scores get lower and your lower scores take it deep. Both are essential elements to playing at this level.

I had so much fun off the golf course in Ohio as well! My friend Jasi's parents were in town and I got to meet them finally! It's always fun meeting the parents of a great person because you see how they became that great person! Her family had me over for some home cooked Indian food, which was FANTASTIC! I think they were all really surprised how much I liked it. My momma raised me right I guess. I'll usually try anything-- unless it has fire in the title.

I absolutely loved having the kids around. They were so much fun. The little boy was so excited [his parents said-- he acted pretty shy around me I think!] for me to stay. I went to a cookout with the family which was really fun. I love meeting other people. I don't know how all of a sudden, I became so outgoing, but I love it. I played some golf with my host fam last night and had to say bye to them today. :( It's sad to leave because they really do feel like family while you're there. The in between period sometimes can be nerve wracking to see if the next one will be as fun. Luckily, she is awesome. I don't know how I am getting so lucky! I love it!


We are in Decatur, IL this week for the Tate & Lyle Championship, our only major on the FUTURES Tour. Tournament is Thursday-Sunday. Look for live scoring here.

1 comment:

  1. wow rachel, you really seem to be coming in to your own. its all sounds great, and i always thought you were outgoing...... you mean you weren't always like this :) keep having fun, workin hard and we hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete