Monday, November 9, 2009

Q-school: The Aftermath

Whoa! What a long two weeks I have had! First let me break down the last round.

I started out alright. I played the par-5's awful, which is usually a strength. I had to hit a lefty shot and hit in two hazards on the day which is very uncharacteristic for me. Played the par-4's awesome. Was -1 on them which is something I have been working hard on. I have always been able to murder the par-5's but par-4's have been a different story. It was incredible to have Kathryn on the bag helping me stay positive, I would have gotten pretty angry at my par-5 stat had she not distracted me around the golf course. She was pointing to pine trees around the course calling them "CRIMA TREES" which had me in hysterics. A good laugh does wonders for my golf game. I tried to make a run the last 3 holes but had a terrible break on my 18th. After the round, it was like I was hit by a train. Mentally I was SHOT. Physically, I surprisingly felt pretty good! I guess it helps training at 5,000 feet!

I finished T78th. Started the day out at T73rd. The last day played pretty tough becuase of the 20-30mph wind so I'm glad my worst score of the week didn't put me too far back. Making the cut, (top 90 & ties) put me in a place to earn a great status on tour. I will know for sure by mid-December after the Final Stage of LPGA Q-School. A lot of FUTURES tour players are doing both so some could earn status on the LPGA or gain exempt status on the FUTURES Tour.

Attitude was KEY this week. I had a great attitude and stayed so positive. Playing 9 rounds of golf in 10 days is unbelievable, throw in some big time pressure, and 5 straight competitive rounds you have one tired girl! It's definitely a lot to ask out of a golfer. There is a reason why they call it a school, it'll school you if you aren't careful! There were so many outside variables occuring this week that can really play with your head if you don't have the right defenses. I mentioned playing 9 rounds in 10 days but they were all 5 hours PLUS. They were some of the longest rounds I have ever played yet I stayed in the present, being so content where I was, and not anxious. I could tell it was really bothering some of the players and it showed in their rounds. I am proud to say that not once, did I let a short fuse ruin a round. Not once, did I get down on myself or think of the actual task at hand [gaining a good status], and not once did I think I couldn't get through it successfully. I am so happy that my mental practice has paid off in this regard. Those are the fundamentals to playing great golf on the road constantly. However, now I am exhausted. I returned from Orlando last night and got some good rest. I plan on taking a little time off, since this will be the only time I will have that luxury! I will be hitting the gym hard for the next couple months and getting sharp for March!

My winter plans are pretty simple. I will be going back to Florida at some point to visit my old teammates just to get out of the cold/snow and get some golf in, and/or possibly going to visit a friend from junior golf in Arizona to play in some Cactus events. Nothing is for sure yet but those the next issues to be addressed!

Thanks for all the support and stopping by for an update! If you have any questions/comments leave them!! I love hearing from you guys or you can email me at rlarson11@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment