Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Not-So-Off-Season

People hear the term "off-season" and think of time off, naturally. Well, for me, it means, "work-harder-season". Off-season is typically the time for changes to your physical routine in the gym, any swing changes and mental routine. I have stepped up workouts from 4 days a week like they were when I was playing, to 6 times a week. I have also upped the weight in all exercises. Upping the weight means upping the stretch time and yoga. I have created a workout plan based on some of the things we did in the off-season in college and added some of my own things I need to strengthen in the gym.

Off-season is also a time to work on some habits that may have hindered you in the last year or just some things you want to change about your game that you couldn't really do during season. For me these tweaks started in September with Eli and had to be put at a halt due to FUTURES Q-school. Now, those tweaks are back on track and I have been working really hard on them in the last week. When there is snow on the ground, I am working in front of a mirror and doing a lot of mental practice. Essentially, I am swinging, then imagining I am striping it down the middle. When more snow melts, I will be chipping and putting like a madwoman!

There are many different ways to work on your mental routine. One I practice is visualization. The good news is, I can work on this when there is snow on the ground and when there isn't! Some of the best books for the mental game I have read in the off-season include: Mind Gym- this is my favorite and every chapter is like gold; Every Shot Must Have a Purpose- also a go-to; and pretty much any book by Dr. Bob Rotella, especially The Golfer's Mind. These books of mine have been read many, many times and highlighted and written in as well.

One of the pinpointed things I am working on on the mental game is the art of positive thinking. I just made that up but it is an art and it is something EVERYONE needs to work on! Essentially, it is taking ANY situation and drawing ALL possible positives from it. Example: Before Q-school I was working on some swing mechanics, when in reality, before a tournament a player should be looking to find feel. Well, all the changes I was making to my swing were good for my process, and not so good for my result. This essentially means that people shouldn't be focused on the result, because there are too many variables that can reek havoc on the result. If you focus on the process, and it is constantly the same, things can rarely go wrong. SO, with those swing changes I wasn't hitting it the way I would have liked before the tournament. I had two choices at that point, pout about not hitting it perfect or taking what I had, trust in it completely and go to work! Needless to say, I chose the latter, trusting every swing in Florida and my mental practice paid off! My goal was not to play well because that goal is result-focused, my goal was to trust in my ability, no matter what my swing looked like because I know I have a solid short game and a very strong mental game. Well, I achieved my goal and that is what I am most proud of. Now, during the off-season, is the time to focus on those tweaks and work on them without having tournaments.

"Off-season is a time to work harder because someone, somewhere else is working harder than you."

No comments:

Post a Comment