Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 2: Q-school

Lake Region Yacht and Country Club:

Today was windy! The cold front moved in last night and it was a little chilly this morning, about 75 degrees. Tough eh? The front nine was not so good. I started out well getting up and down my first two holes and a close birdie opportunity on my third. After the front I was +5 and not happy about it. I lipped out for birdie on #10 and made birdie on the par-5, 12th from 3'. I had a great up and down on the next hole and lipped for birdie again on #13 and #17. Threw in some solid pars and a bogey and birdied #18 to shoot 76. One under on the back really saved me. That is something I have worked endlessly on; my attitude. Before college, I would get really angry if the front wasn't going so well and kind of give up, but in college you have to grind for ALL eighteen holes. I think I even referenced this in the summer at the Colorado Open to the Times Call. Grinding is about not giving up and always thinking you can get that ball in the hole, NOW. If you asked me what the biggest difference between amateurs, college players and professionals are, attitude would be a big reason why amateurs are amateurs and not becoming decent professional golfers. Of course, there are many other reasons why they might not be, but to grind out five tournament days like I am this week, you need a good head on your shoulders!

The girls that are on my course rotation are sparse at the top of the leaderboard. Hopefully they left some low scores for us at the next two courses. I will play Ridgewood Country Club tomorrow at 9am EST.

Currently, I am in T118th and two shots out of T83rd. It's been hard not to get frustrated at some of the mistakes that I have made over the last couple days due to swing change growing pains but I am taking them in stride and know that they are temporary. Aside from that, I am very pleased with my short game and mental game. I really didn't know what to expect coming down here and have met a lot of really nice, helpful people who are also on the road traveling solo. Overall, I am still having an absolute blast. I feel very blessed to be where I am right now. It feels like I belong here.

No comments:

Post a Comment