Monday, May 17, 2010

Soggy Weekend & What Is Ahead

This weekend wasn't the most favorable. We played on Friday without any weather. I can't say that it went very well. I had a great start after 8 holes but had some trouble on holes 9-11. After that I battled back but got some bad breaks. After the round I was pretty frustrated so I identified the mistakes and worked on them a bit. That's all you can do.

On Saturday, we woke up to a mist. Warmed up in the mist and started in the mist. For two holes we had no rain but it started back up on our third. I pride myself in playing well in tough conditions because everyone just complains about the weather. It's kind of amazing to me in tournaments when people do complain. It's something we can't control and you just have to fight harder to get those birdies. We played eight holes in a steady borderline downpour until they called us off the golf course. Some girls withdrew during the rain delay. I was standing on #9 tee box and really wondering if I was going to have to tee off in casual water. There was no place to take relief on the highest thing around! The fairways were underwater as well as the bunkers.

Saturday's round was eventually cancelled and we were sent home to dry off. I didn't realize just how wet I was until I got home. My socks, shoes, rainsuit, three towels were just soaked. In that weather, you are trying to keep everything dry but sometimes you just can't. Thank goodness for FootJoy rain gloves. They work only when they are soaking wet so if a player didn't have those, I don't know how they hung on to the club!

We were scheduled to resume play on Sunday at 7:30am. I got out there and warmed up and it was supposed to rain again that day so I was prepared. No rain during the warm up but it started misting as we were getting ready to go out. Another delay. This time they came back at 7:45 and said they were going to cut after 18 holes, meaning top-70 and ties advance to the second and final round. Not me. That is always frustrating when you are playing well and so many people are going down the leader board but that's the way it goes! Every round needs to be everything you have just in case something like this happens.

I left for Colorado shortly after the news of the cut. Enjoyed a nice 9 hour drive home. In the middle of Kansas on I-70, I saw three of my good friends from home; IN THE CAR. It was so crazy and so we stopped to get gas and chat.

The traveling aspect of the tour is so much fun. I have never had such a long adventure by myself but loved every second.

For the next two weeks I will be doing some tuning up and re-focusing. It will be nice to have mom cook some meals and hang out with the family in addition to really working hard on my game. This isn't a hard game, just have to go out there and play. Working off some of the rust has helped and I am excited for my "Colorado-swing". I will be playing in the US Open Sectional Qualifier at the Broadmoor to get to Oakmont CC in Pennsylvania. That is May 31st teeing it at 7:10am and 1:10 [36 hole qualifier]. After that I will have a "day-off" probably practicing at Green Valley Ranch to get ready for the HealthONE Colorado Open, June 2-4 one of my favorite events of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment