Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Perfect Storm

I am alive and well in Leawood, Kansas! It was quite the journey to get here though. I left Ft. Worth, TX around 10am on Monday. Good thing I left early, because I was driving through Oklahoma and the south eastern corner of Kansas where a huge super cell was coming in that night. My dad helped me with the weather while I was in the car. We originally thought it would be better if I stayed in Norman, OK with a friend over night and let the storm pass. It looked to be a bad one. Instead, I continued on not hitting any weather at all until about 30min outside my destination. As I was leaving the Tulsa area, the radio said there were tornadoes all over the place touching down. Little did I know that Norman, OK was getting a beast of a storm as well. My friend said a tornado went right down the street flipping cars. Thank goodness I didn't end up staying there! I should have picked her up and taken her with me! 

I arrived safely and the storm came in later that night. All we got were heavy rains and high winds. Nothing too bad. The course was very soggy yesterday; cart path only. 

The golf course is beautiful. Mature trees and lush, dense, US Open rough compliment every hole. The greens are rolling nicely but have a lot of sneaky breaks in them. They are very undulating with swails on every inch of them.

I played yesterday with Miriam Nagl from Germany who had been on the LPGA tour for the last 5 years. We had fun playing 9 then I played the back by myself. The back nine is quite a test. It will be key this week to keep focused, hydrated and dry to play those last holes well. 

We had another big storm come in last night around 3am. I woke up to strobe lights lighting up the room with very loud thunder. Gotta love being in Tornado Alley!! The course was even more soggy than yesterday. We aren't getting any roll out there which some girls really need. I played 18 today with my good friend Julie Wells and Sydney Cox. We played in about 4 hours staying dry, thank goodness. It has been chilly and overcast all day and hoping for storms only at night, if at all. 

Tomorrow I am practicing in the mid-morning and playing a late practice round with some girls from Florida. I won't be playing too many holes just gonna get some more practice on that back nine. 

I tee it at 1pm on Friday for the first round.

No comments:

Post a Comment