Friday, July 16, 2010

ING New England Golf Classic: Round 1

I have been playing well for probably the last month, month and a half, but my scores haven't really been showing it. For the two weeks, I have been pondering how to approach my game in a new way to help improve those little mistakes that keep occurring. Well, they aren't all gone but I have finally addressed putting. Yesterday, after skimming parts of Every Shot Must Have a Purpose by Pia Nilsson I came to the conclusion that my pre-shot routine for putting needs to change. Sometimes, you can be so focused looking down on the ball you forget to focus on the target and I believe this is what was happening. Now, I take my practice swings behind the ball my shoulders perpendicular to the hole, and staring straight down my line. Today was the first day in competition that I used it, and my pace was right on, and I even made some putts outside of 20'! Honestly, my birdies have been chip-ins, and tap-ins lately and it gets exhausting not making any long putts!

The course is very pretty we are playing this week, Wintonbury Hills Golf Course. Evidently it is a Pete Dye design and he charged $1 to play, ummm, like 6 years ago. Pretty cool! The greens have gotten faster everyday (YAY!) and they are finally putting pretty nice. The fairways are wide but the undulations in the green are tricky. It is a really fun track.

Today was nothing too crazy, 3 bogeys, 2 birdies on my front nine and just one birdie and a whole lotta pars on my back. It started gusting on the back nine so I'm glad I got in the clubhouse when I did. I could smell donuts with two holes left, some guy was making homemade donuts by the putting green. Haha. I'm not a big donut girl but they smelled AMAZING! I tried one, and they were pretty good, but I'd rather have a Sam Adams Summerale. Mmm I love summer.

My mom is coming tonight to watch the weekend (and for my birthday on Sunday)!! I am so excited, because no one has seen me play in one of these events and they are so fun. Bloomfield definitely has the best spectators thus far! There were a ton of people out there today which is fun to see. I heard it was senior day, so I'm sure they got a discount. Every senior loves a bargain, right?! Anyway, tomorrow is a new day, time for more birdies and fun times. I can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. Hope your birthday is great tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo! Blogging! Thanks for the comment, I wasn't sure if anyone would actually read my blog! Looks like you're doing well and that makes me very happy. I'm so proud of you! Keep in touch, I'd love to hear all about what you're up to in that crazy life of yours.

    Happy Birthday! I love you!

    ReplyDelete