Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Texas Hill Country Classic: San Antonio, TX

So far, my impression of San Antonio has been verrry positive! I am staying with a great host family with a friend Jasi Archarya. We are only about three minutes away from the course. We are playing this week at The Dominion Country Club just west of San Antonio. It was home to a Senior PGA event for a number of years. The course is in amazing shape. The front nine reminds me of Old Warson Country Club in St. Louis where I played in the US Amateur. Very old, mature trees, fast greens, well-placed bunkers and very green! The greens today were running at a 12. If you were above the hole, down grain, forget about getting it anywhere close. You had to barely touch it and it would take off rollin'! The area we are in is pretty hilly [shocking for TX, I know]. I went for a run this morning around the neighborhood and my quads burned the rest of the day becuase all I was running up and down were hills! Registration was today so I practiced in the morning then headed out for 18 with Jasi in the afternoon. There was very little wind and the temperature was fantastic. There was very little humidity becuase my yardage that I play in CO was the same down here. That rarely happens.

Tonight we had the 'Meet the Pro' party at the golf course. It was formal so we had to get all dressed up which isn't what you want to do after spending all day on the course but it was a lot of fun to try and guess people's names in formal attire. We usually only see each other in golf clothes. So it made for a fun evening. They put on a great party here in TX. We had live music, a dance floor, great food. It was a lot of fun.

Tomorrow will be the same kind of day. Going to workout in the morning, then head out to the course about 10:30 after the pro-am tees off. Practice all day then get in 9 tomorrow evening with Julie. I am ecstatic to be here this week and really looking forward to playing.

Aint nothin' like a little competition!

2 comments:

  1. What'd you wear for your formal attire?! Tell us, tell us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, okay I wore a dark gray dress [Target] that neatly hid all of my golf tan lines, becuase they are getting B-A-D. And a red, thick, braided belt! It looked good. My roommate helped me decide.

    ReplyDelete